[AMPS] Re:No Brainer

measures measures@vcnet.com
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:24:20 -0700

>Ok, I will openly and upfront, admit that I have little function
>in the neuro synaptic regions. Lyme Encephalitis and associated
>chemo is taking it's toll.
>
>My question is: A single 3-500Z amp is usually rated around
>1KW +/- out. With low duty cycle service, such as ssb, would it be
>possible to get more output without serious loss of tube life?

-  Getting more than 1000w from a 3-500Z is problematic.  Some have
reportedly been able to run the tube at around 5000v under load.  Tuning
up with this much steam is pretty dicey.  A tuning pulser is a must.
However,  output increases only about1db, of about 1/6 of one S-unit.  .

>Next question: According to my ARRL hand book, Max Ep for
>the 3-500Z is 4KV. Is it better to run at higher Ep and thus
>lower Ip at a given power level?

The best way to run one is at the design Z of your tank and at the
published ratings.  .

>Would this extend the life of
>the cathode?

Cathode life is strictly a function of hours and degrees Kelvin.  Every
3% increase in filament volts cuts emissive life in half.  Remember that
(e2/e1)^23.4 describes fil. life.  Run 10% too much fil. V and you'r
looking at 1/10 the emissive life.

>Would an Ep of 5 or 6KV be reasonable or destructive?

Do you have a free supply of tubes?

>Thanks for any input, and for all of the discussion on SWR/
>transmission line characteristics. This has indeed been stimulating.

... a fun trip it was, Jeff.