[AMPS] RF Surge Problem

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Tue, 26 Oct 99 17:06:29 -0500

Phil Clements wrote:

>Why go to all the trouble to carefully figure plate  load, tank Q and coil
>taps,
>only to operate at some arbitrary level? The  amp will be as close to optimum
>as you can get when you  plan your design, and stick with it. If you want to
>lower the power, back off the mike gain.

Why effectively lower your modulation level in order to set your power?
That's not so good.  That's why some folks have such poor audio.  They
back their audio off to control their power.

IMHO, the PA is able to be run at different voltages, power levels, etc.
precisely because you have variable components in the tank circuit.  If
all values were fixed, then I'd agree with your statement.  But if the
variability of your components allows you some limited freedom I don't
think you have to be so tight about things.  Variable components allows
you to have a more flexible operating situation (within reason of course).

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na