[AMPS] RF Surge Problem

Dave Bowker dbowker@mail.sjv.net
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:48:12 -0400

Jim,

Likely causes of failure of one of these devices, if not by lightning, is
high SWR on the xmtr line to the linear or antenna tuner or very high
precipitation static buildup on an antenna such as a long wire or other
non-grounded fed antenna, such as some beams with floating feed points.

Surge arrestors are made by C.P. Clare (and others) and are available from
Allied Radio, Newark, and other world-wide distributers such as Arrow
Electronics, etc., for $3-$4 bucks in small quantities.  You would need to
select one of suitable nominal voltage rating to work at the output power
levels of your transceiver.  The C.P. Clare catalog and data sheets are
available at: http://www.cpclare.com/.

Check your OMNI.  Ten-Tec installed surge protection devices across both the
main and aux. antenna jacks on OMNI-VI's.  (NO...they are not shown on the
TT schematics!)  The ones in the OMNI-VI are approximately 100 volt devices
(so I was told by TT several years ago).  If you have a VI+, they are not
there, but have been replaced with RF chokes on the LPF Board.  I have both
the surge arrestors and RF chokes installed (factory mod) in my OMNI-VI+3.

73, Dave, K1FK
Fort Kent, ME