SV: [AMPS] feedback sought: Ameritron AL-80

measures measures@vcnet.com
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 07:36:24 -0700

>Hej all:
>
>I have in front of me an EIMAC data sheet of the 3-500Z ( 6-1-77) and HAM
>RADIO (1/77 ) - an article by W6SAI called "intermittent voice operation " (
>EIMAC publication AS 40 ) . The 3-500Z is said to deliver 890 watts of
>useful watts ( does this include output circuitry losses?? ) at 3500
>volts/400 mA and 40 dB 3rd order products. The 8873 ( inside same as 8875
>and 8874 ), mentioned in the HAM RADIO article, has a 350 mA maximum anode
>current. Still, EIMAC, in IVS service,allows 500 mA ( in short tune ups

€  very short.  According to the specs, the max. on time for 500mA is
50-milliSeconds.  In other words, you must use a tuning pulser for
tune-up.

>and
>SSB modulation peak current ) with still low 35 dB 3rd order distorsion
>products. The 8874 family has been been pushed to this limit in this IVS way
>in many amplifiers by HENRY, HEATHKIT, ALPHA with little problems in normal
>use. I also have seen many amplifiers using 8873 and 8874 after many years
>service still delivering almost full power with no harm and still almost
>normal distorsion products. Even when using PEP in cw service. My old HENRY
>using a pair of 8873s, nowadays used by a guy in cw contests, still works
>fine. It all depends on the operator, of course - the way he tunes up his
>amplifier and using it. RTTY, FM and long tune-ups is of course not possible
>in this IVS service unless you have a thick wallet,hi!

€  Indeed Hans.  For a photo of what happened to some 8874 (oxide)
cathodes that were driven beyond this rating, see photos in ''Parasitics
Revisited'' in the Sept and Oct. 1990 issues of *QST*.  However,
overdrive does not shorten the life of thoriated tungsten cathodes.