[AMPS] handles for cheap...

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:46:59 -1000

Steve wrote:

> The 8171 is my personal favorite!

>.......simple grid and screen
> supplies, no filament chokes, can use RG-213 class coax, ~100 watts of
drive

>.......on those cold
> winter mornings when 40M was all but dead, it did seemed like the extra
20dB
> kind of took over where the solar flux left off.
>
> Handles -- Just do it!

Hmmmmm?  100 watts drive + 20 dB gain =  10,000 watts;
yes,  that probably would equate to a 40 dB over 9 from Az to Ca !!

Sounds like fun!

73,  Jim,  KH7M

PS:  My Henry 8K won't quite do that!!  But with only 13 dB gain,
I keep it to about 75 watts drive,  hi.  It runs  cool,  and being
a triode,  is super linear also -- should last two ham lifetimes also,
as conservative as I use it.  Well,  the filament puts out some heat,
about 350 watts to light it off  (3CX3000A7) .