[AMPS] Where to read Reflected Power

Radiodan W7RF RFpower@radiodan.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:36:53 -0700

Hi Pete & Jon, (note for others: antenna and feedline stuff below, if your
amplifier only eyes get burned reading this, please delete to save your self
permanent damage!)

In the ARRL handbook 1998 (probably others, I didn’t check them all) on page
19.6, figure 19.5 there is a chart showing ADDITIONAL loss in transmission
lines as a function of SWR. Very interesting.

Studying this gives a good perspective when trying to figure whether open
wire feedline is needed (a relative statement) for a particular
installation. Shorter runs of cable on lower frequencies may not warrant
open wire feed.

I still love 450 ohm ladder line and use it for my 170 foot dipole for all
bands and lowest additional feedline loss.
Certainly if one wanted to build a dipole for 80 and 75M tuning out SWR for
CW or phone using RG213 would not a be a problem.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
RF Applications Power Measuring equipment, See the VFD!
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!