[AMPS] Interfacing SG-500 to FT-100...

Scott Townley nx7u@arrl.net
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:36:39 -0700

This isn't really an AMPS question, but there's an amp involved...

I have an SG-500 that I'd like to fully interface to my FT-100 (fully means
using ALC, band select, sequenced PTT--the whole works).

I have the two units' ALC specs and figure I can work with it--the FT-100
is 0-4V negative and the SG-500 is 1-5V positive, so an inverter and
level-shift circuit will do the trick...

The "QSK Delay" function in the FT-100 should work nicely for T/R
sequencing.  I am prepared to use an external sequencer if needed (for SSB
or if QSK Delay doesn't do the trick).

But...the BAND DATA cable is intriguing..."BAND A, BAND B, BAND C, BAND D,
TX INH" are available (along with 13.8V, GND and TX GND).  I would assume
TX INH is TX INHIBIT, but the manual gives no hint as to how that line
works.  And how to decode BAND A-D?  Any ideas/experience/suggestions?
Could I be so lucky as to have that be BCD encoded somehow?  The SG-500
will automatically band select with a supplied ground signal so some
circuitry would be required, but I can do that as long as I know what I'm
working with...

Thanks in advance, any and all comments/observations/cautions are welcomed!
Scott Townley
nx7u@arrl.net