[AMPS] 811H's on CB

michael watts wy6k@yahoo.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

You understate the interference problem.

Here in Northern California the lower 25Khz of
10meters is filled with CBers on AM and SSB.  There
have two instances in the last week where I was unable
to work two Dxpeditions with weak signals because of
this interference.

My solution will be to put my 10 meter yagi back up -
I've been using a ground plane.

I would be interested in the justifcation if your
statement that amps are operated more skillfully by
CBers than by Hams.

Mike wy6k
--- Eric Dobrowansky <kk2ed@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Flame suit on........ (I DO NOT promote such
> activity, but I am also not
> blind to the real world!)
>

> I love listening to fellow hams complain about CBers
> encroaching on 10 or
> 12m.  Hams just love to "blame CBers" for all bad
> and evil that happens on
> the ham bands.  Wake up and listen to 75m one
> evening! It makes the CB
> freebanders sound like pros!
>
> The situation is hyped up to be worse than it really
> is. In the 15 yrs as a
> ham I have been very active on 10m, and in all those
> years have heard maybe
> 5 incidents of CBers encroaching 10m, down around
> 28.05 or so.   Four of
> these cases were taxi/livery drivers in the NYC
> area. And thanks to a ham (I
> think it was W6TER (in 2-lander at the time) in the
> NYC area, a few local
> "busts" which involved the TLC & FCC cleaned up the
> problem.  This was in
> the heavily populated NYC area. I can't imagine it
> being any worse anywhere
> else in the country. Oh-yes, and a few
> Spanish-speaking stations when the
> band opens up. And it isn't the amplifiers that put
> them on the ham bands.
> Their amp was just an addition to their operation.
>
> The CBers that are buying these high-price "ham"
> amplifiers are operating
> them with more skill than the average ham, stay
> within the so-called
> "freeband (26-28MHz), and know where/how to operate
> without attracting
> unnecessary attention (i.e.: 28.0-29.7 MHz, 24.5
> MHz). Some are hams
> themselves. Some have even been unfortunate enough
> to get caught up in it
> (look at the recent FCC enforcement logs)
>
> BTW, I'd rather have them using the cleaner
> ham-grade amplifiers rather than
> some of the gray-market wideband and dirty solid
> state transistor boxes that
> are readily available to them.
>
> It amazes me how fellow hams can sit there and put
> down these "lowly CB
> operators", when in fact most of them were CBers at
> one time and have many
> "skeletons in the closet" themselves!  Nothing
> sickens me worse than the
> Extra-class ham operators I know who think they are
> "mightier than thou",
> but can't even solder a PL259 connector properly
> (only one example), yet can
> criticize a CBer who knows more about radio than the
> hams of late.
>
> I was into the CB scene for a good while before ham
> radio. Let me tell you,
> I met many nice people from that arena, even the two
> hams (elmers) that
> sparked my interest into ham radio. To this day we
> still feel we had more
> fun on CB than we do now on the ham bands.  Don't
> get me wrong, I enjoy ham
> radio, after all, it's what you make of it. But
> let's not label all CBers
> bad.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===