[AMPS] 811H's on CB

Frank Ayers w2fca@qsl.net
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:23:31 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Dobrowansky <kk2ed@adelphia.net>
>The situation is hyped up to be worse than it really is. In the 15 yrs as a
>ham I have been very active on 10m, and in all those years have heard maybe
>5 incidents of CBers encroaching 10m, down around 28.05 or so.

During one 1010 CW contest I heard no less than 10 different conversations
in the low end of ten, including one that proudly announced he was "Pirate
Radio #1".

>The CBers that are buying these high-price "ham" amplifiers are operating
>them with more skill than the average ham, stay within the so-called
>"freeband (26-28MHz), and know where/how to operate without attracting
>unnecessary attention

There are good shooting hunters who ignore the hunting season and bag limits
way out of sight in the woods, and there are very good drivers who go thirty
over the limit at night when the traffic is sparse.
They too are operating illegally. Do we chose whuch laws we ignore?

>It amazes me how fellow hams can sit there and put down these "lowly CB
>operators", when in fact most of them were CBers at one time and have many
>"skeletons in the closet" themselves!
Actually, there are a few of us who never were CBers.

Maybe
>we should remove general coverage rx from the newer radios as well,
avoiding
>the possibility that a diode may be cut here or there!  No need to have
>0-30MHz to accommodate the MARS operators.
One of the reasons I bought my TS690 is the general coverage it has. It's a
lot easier to me to listen to shortwave with that than to fight my wife for
her RACAL 6790.

This almost (almost) makes me yearn for a good spirited debate on parasitic
suppressors. (almost)

Frank
W2FCA