[AMPS] SB220 power output

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:04:11 +0100

> Presumably drive power level would be chosen to maximize amplifier
> output, at least for this test measurement.

On some bands (i.e. 40m) in SSB position and with a good 230V AC
supply, and with exciters able to deliver enough driving power, the
SB220 output can easily exceed 1500W (a value that's already well over
the HV transformer conservative power and above fan cooling capability).
When the exciter output is adjustable to obtain any wanted (reduced)
output, operations in CW position do not have a great sense because a
lower plate voltage lowers the gain and increases the grid current.

73,
Mauri I4JMY