[AMPS] Re: [Henry] On-off, or leave it on?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 09:05:00 -0600

> > 2. After an on-the-air session, do you wait until the blower
> >  has done its thing, and cooled the tube down to a
> >  reasonable level?
>
> Not easy to tell!  There is so much heat being blown out
> from the cabinet just from the 300+ watts of filament
> power!  In fact,  with my amp use,  occasional as is
> Chuck's,  I have never noticed added heat output beyond
> the steady state filament heat output.  Now my amp is
> in an adjacent room because that heat output would
> drive me away from my small operating room very fast!
> Also,  the blower is so loud,  I absolutely would not want
> the amp pedestal in my operating area.  That is why I
> sold my 87A and went to the remote operated Henry.
> The fan on the 87A (added external fan,  needed here
> in the tropics)  was just way too loud for an on-the-operating
> table amplifier.

Simple and easy solution.
Go down to Wal-Mart etc. and purchase a cheap indoor/outdoor
thermometer. Place the outdoor probe at the exhaust outlet.
You can then tell what the normal temp is with just the filament
running. Mark this on the thermometer face, and you can see
when cool-down is complete.

Mêlée Kelekemaka, Jim!

Phil, K5PC