[AMPS] galaxy amplifier review

skip s isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:41:48 -0800

Hola gang,

Up on the http://sonic.ucdavis.edu   server Amateur Radio Pages, I've
set up a scan which is a 1967 review of the Galaxy 2000+ amplifier.
Aside
from the amusing fact that the tube compliment is ten 6HF5 tubes, there
are some interesting sections of the circuit. Two of these sections are a

Linearity Control circuit and a Capacitive Divider Tank Tuning circuit.
The
amplifier circuit is shown as a mostly block description, but the above
mentioned are shown in adequate detail.

The Linearity Control circuit will modify the control grid bias potential

during amplifier operation. (This application is not related to the daf
circuit, please.)

The tank circuit uses a capacitive divider tuning capacitor arrangement
which is also worth a look.

The Linearity circuit looks similar to some meter tuning circuits I've
seen.
The cap divider tank circuit looks good, but hard to use in multi band
applications.

The Galaxy 2000+ was made by the Galaxy Electronics Company in
Council Bluffs, Iowa.   Same town as the old World Radio Labs
Company, of which my first rig was a gold face WRL Galaxy 3. I'd be
interested in any trivia some of you could share about these companies.
Some day I'll find another gold faced WRL Galaxy 3 for sale...

cheers and enjoy
skipp

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.