[AMPS] The Dreaded DAF Buck Shot Machine???

measures measures@vcnet.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:08:03 -0700

>Rich,
>
>Is all the brew-ha-ha about the "Dreaded DAF Buck Shot Machine"... the one
>like Norm (EDD) use to chew us up with on 40 meters.  Man, those are about
>the nastiest sounding rigs I have ever been subjected to.

Yes.  However, DAFers have tried to deny that Norm actually had one.

>Norm use to swear that his signal was clean as a whistle and, as he use to
>say over and over, "very smooooooth"... remember?

No.  I only remember the splatter, the denial, and the cave in.  .

>It must have taken all of us about 3 years to get him to clean up his act...
>he had to rework the blasted thing as I recall... put in a fixed screen
>supply if memory serves me correct.  What a difference that made.  He was
>sure hard to convince though... nothing anyone could say mattered.  Poor
>Norm.

He eventually realized that the splatter reports were accurate and that I
was not going to cut him any slack.

.  He fixed his amplifier.   I think Hal's abandoning the DAF first was
an incentive.

>He kind of made a spectacle of himself... all that self denial and all.
>
>The same with W6CHR in Riverside... he use to run the same thing... the DAF
>fuzz box.  Actually, he had two of them.  One was a pair of 4-65A's... when
>he keyed the mike and drew idling plate current, the plates of those poor
>4-65's would literally glow incandescent.  He could get 1KW out of a pair...
>honest!
>
>CHR also had a pair of 4-1000A's in the DAF fuzz box configuration... Could
>hear him all up and down 80 meters.  Remember the evening we were on 3.820
>and went up about 250 kHz to find him...

As I recall, we found him at 3908.  His splatter extended to about 3810.

>what a god awful mess his signal
>was.  He use to take serious pride in saying his call TEXAS style...
>W6CHRRRR, "Clear Channel Radio"... he was clear channel all right..
>
>I don't know about the technical aspects of DAF; however, every one I ever
>had to share the band with was very bad news!

The good news is that they are easy to fix:  Regulate the screen,
terminate the grid,  and run zero grid current.

later, Steve