[AMPS] PEP philosophy/rules

Fisher fisher@pldi.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:05:19 -0000

Hi George -

For one, I'm glad you brought this up.  My understanding is that SSB PEP is
one thing and the FCC PEP output rule is another.

Actual PEP - if I understand correctly - is the power at the highest point
(ie, the peak) of the RF envelope waveform.

For the FCC PEP rule, Part 97.3 defines PEP as "The average power supplied
to the antenna transmission line by a transmitter during one RF cycle at the
crest of the modulation envelope taken under normal operating conditions."

Again, the FCC rule says:  "The average...".   To me there has to be 2 or
more values in order for an average to be relevant.  A point (eg., a peak)
is only 1 and if they (the writers of the rule) were in fact referring to a
peak then they would have left out the reference to average.

What exactly does the above FCC rule mean?  I can't remember ever seeing it
illustrated anywhere - and - I have had varying explanations from experts of
which none made any sense.  (BTW - I have no sense - so, that could be the
real problem.)

Once the above is answered then we know that we all are on the same
"wavelength" (pun intended) and may then be able to learn how to accurately
determine FCC PEP in order to be legal - and - to accurately determine REAL
PEP in order to have accurate bragging information.

In my ignorance, I have about come to believe that an ordinary PEP reading
wattmeter will give an approximately correct FCC rule PEP reading.  My
cheapie PEP reading pwr meter only reads to 1,200 W and I rarely even reach
that point; so, being legal on SSB has yet to be an issue for me.  I take
that back.  I was an op in a multi-single station in one of the DX contests
and got to watch that big Ten-Tec pump out the rf - it had a string of
lights indicating power output.  The 1500W light stayed lit a lot - it was a
fun eye-opener for me.

This is the kind of thing that one would think an extra class licensee
should, by definition, totally understand.  Therefore, I  find admitting to
the above a little embarrassing.

Do other countries define PEP the same way the FCC PEP rule does?

Lu K5YP