[AMPS] Input power question

Kevin Polchan kpevin@mediaone.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:55:17 -0600

Hi All,

Just a quick question after experimenting with a couple radios here the last
couple days.  I have an AL-800H amp (two 3cx800a7) and 2 different exciters,
an FT-990 and an IC-756.  I am curious why it takes 80watts from the Yaesu
and only 55 watts from the Icom to drive to a 1500 watt carrier.  I have put
a wattmeter between the radio and amp and the amp and antenna.  I assume its
some kind of impedence thing, perhaps from the finals of the radio.  Both
radios at 100watts out will drive the amp to the same output.

I am not that concerned about it, even though the amp is rated at legal
limit for 55W of drive, 25 watts seems like quite a large difference to
achieve the same output.  The input SWR is < 1.5:1, but the Icom shows
1.19:1 and the Yaesu shows 1.46:1.

Any comments?

Thanks and 73,
Kevin