[AMPS] Power Supply Question

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:20:43 -0400

> them out also.  Problem might be more minor. Aloha & 73, Ed Pagaduan

</italic></color>I'll vote for that!

> > with only 100 ma of current, I had 170VAC riding on top of the

> > DC.

</italic></color>So was that peak-to-peak?

If that was under light load, you have something else going on.

> > verified that the three oil caps had not changed their value

> > significantly. At the same time, I checked the rectifiers for

> > uniformity of avalanche voltage and they were okay also.

"</italic>Avalanche voltage" is a non-issue. <italic>

> > I had everything disconnected, I put the Sencore on the AC

> > filter choke. I was surprised to note that instead of 8 Henrys

> > inductance (per schematic)it was 6. The surprise was because

> > there were no signs of windings shorting out, like charring,

> > stink, seepage, etc.

</italic></color>Are you sure the Sencore is right? Are you sure the schematic is
right? What is the tolerance of the choke?

> > choke and two .1uf filter caps in parallel. They are in series

> > with the rectified AC as a trap for 120 Hz, prior to the 16 uf

</italic></color>> > filter cap.

> > Currently  .2uf x 6H = 145 Hz. Too far off?

</italic></color>No, not too far off.

First remember, you NEVER want to have the choke resonant. I
was almost killed by Bill Orr's book when I followed his instructions
to resonate the choke!

IMO, any tuned choke needs a spark gap for protection in case it
hits resonance!

You always want the system to be on the high side of resonance.

The choke will drop inductance as the load increases, swinging
choke or not. You NEVER want to design a supply so that the
resonance is a key factor in ripple suppression in a variable load
supply, because ripple will increase at a much accelerated rate as
load current increases.

> > the existing two, or replacing them all with a .3uf 7.5Kv cap.

> > .3uf x 6 Henrys = 119 Hz

> > Any input would be appreciated before I jump in.

</italic></color>Input?  If you hit exact resonance, especially at higher surge
currents, be prepared to run like hell!

<nofill>
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com