[AMPS] Commander 2500E

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:31:57 +0100

Dick says:

>But automotive emission control regulations are a pretty good analogy to
>FCC rules, which basically relate to RF emissions control. You might say
>that one results in less crap in the air from cars, the other in less crap ON
>the air from transmitters.

It's interesting that the spurious emission limits for the Amateur Service,
agreed by the ITU at WRC97, and accepted by amongst others, the USA, have so far
not been incorporated into regulations for amateurs, with the exception, as far
as I know, of the UK. In the UK, they are incorporated because of a licence
clause that makes a general reference to international rules, so even there, the
incorporation is by inanition.  The radio regulations are an international
treaty, which is why it takes about 5 years to work through the depts of
commerce, state, and for all I know, gates and fences, before finally getting
agreeement from Congress and the Presidential signature. Yet the WRC97
requirements are supposedly in force from Jan 1, 2003 for new equipment, and
Jan1, 2012 for all equipment, and require harmonics and spurs to be attenuated
by 43+10logP dB, not exceeding 50dB for emissions below 30MHz, and 70dB for
emissions above 30MHz. Meeting that with a pi-L is pretty tough, if not
impossible.

My suspicion is that it's  case of left and right hands, rather than
deliberately ignoring treaty obligations. But it sure has some nasty
implications.

73

Peter G3RZP