[AMPS] Receiver performance

RichyRusso@aol.com RichyRusso@aol.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:12:17 EST

In a message dated 3/13/00 1:02:19 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jono@enteract.com
writes:

<< Someone mentioned these tests on another reflector I am on.

 I don't think they are at all accurate.  They show an FT-1000D with about
 the same performance as an FT-847.  Trust me, I have both and the FT-1000D
 BLOWS the 847 away.  Secondly, they show the FT-990 having BETTER
 performance than the 1000D.  How can that be?  They both have pretty much
 the same receiver.

 73,

 Jon
 KE9NA >>

   I had both the Omni VI plus and the Omni VI, the regular VI was much more
pleasant to listen to than the plus (the added DSP in the plus introduced
processor noise, blips etc..). When I made comparisons to an FT1000 sitting
in the same room. The FT1000 blew them away, IMHO there is no better rig than
the 1000 in its price range. Granted theses were "seat o the pantz" opinions,
but what better way to review a rig than to use and enjoy it, the measurement
tools are good for technojunkies but in real life everyone has a different
ear, I thought my TS 850 sounded like a cement mixer when tuned to an empty
freq, the Omni rx had spoiled me that much.  I often hear guys with 5k plus
setups that sound like crap because their ear tells em it sounds great thru
the monitoring jack..
   I preferred the Analog 1000 over a "digitally enhanced" Omni VI plus . I
havent found many rigs outside of the FT100 mobile which made good use of
DSP, I am always afraid that DSP will be used to make mediocre rigs better
and not enhance the great rigs. If you do want to witness excellent DSP with
a super fast processor check out that FT100, its a quirky rig but boy does it
work great for a little pipsqueak!!
 Tnx Richy