[AMPS] Dentron MLA 2500 Amplifier?++

measures 2@vc.net
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:17:16 -0700

>In a message dated 03/17/2000 12:31:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>n4zr@contesting.com writes:
>
><<
> I've never really understood why the 8877 and 3CX800 are so much more
> popular than the 3CX1200, given its instant-on characteristics and rugged
> grid.

The part that is ruggedized seems to be the filament.  Whereas the
3-500Z/8008 filament is unsupported at the midpoint, and sometimes bends
during parasitic visitation,  there must be some kind of a mid point
support on the 3CX1200A7's filament helices that keep them from bending.

> >Maybe some amp builders can explain what's off-putting about this tube.

>i have wondered about that myself!

6x as much feedback C as a 3-500Z/8008.  (sic)   The improved version,
the 3CX1200Z7, has 1/10th as much feedback.  Perhaps Mr. Rauch can tell
us why the Ameritron AL-1200 has not switched to the new Z7 version?

Cheers, Hank.

end