[AMPS] SS750 20 meter test and (maybe) explanation

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@blomand.net
Mon, 08 May 2000 22:13:24 -0500

For what it's worth.

I've looked at the figures regarding input vs. output.  The amp seems to
be providing some degree of compression in the form of non-linearity in
as much as the input to output gain appears to be changing with power.
This would lead one to believe that the Vcc voltage is sagging under
load, perhaps at the collector of the device(s), and not the power
supply.

Here's what I see as to gain vs in/out power.  This is shown in Vic's
chart of numbers.

Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> Here are the results of testing the SS750 (8 x 2SC2879) on 14 MHz. including
> collector currents.  Someone also asked what the bias voltage is; it is +0.66
> volts on all the modules.  Testing was into a dummy load whose SWR was < 1.1:1.
>
> In    Out    Ic at 13.8v	Gain Db
> 10    142    30		11.5
> 20    262    40		11.2
> 30    368    48		10.9
> 40    420    52		10.2
> 50    460    55		9.6
> 60    500    58		9.2
> 70    540    62		8.9
> 80    560    64		8.5
> 90    590    65		8.2
> 100   611    66		7.9
> 170   721    72

What this seems to say is that compression is not taking place but most
aptly the Vcc is droping at the device as current increases.

If the amp had a true 10dB gain figure then 10 in would produce 100 out,
50 in 500 out and 170 in 1700 out.  As they say "I don't think so!"

73
Bob K4TAX