[AMPS] RE: High Power Connectors

W8AV@aol.com W8AV@aol.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:05:42 EST

    Just another .02 worth.  I had N connectors on my isolation coils (to get
the 20 and 40 meter antenna coaxes across the base insulator) on my big tower
that I also series feed on 160.  After a couple years with the temperature
changes (in Ohio) the center conductor pin on the N would pull back far
enough to allow a haphazard connection and consequently arcing to occur
inside the connector.  Noticed it during a big 40 meter run on ARRL DX one
year when all of a sudden  signals went away.  Changed it out in the middle
of the night to  UHF connectors and have not had a problem since.
    Needless to say all the N's have disappered from my station for HF.

73......de Goose, W8AV