[AMPS] Rf models

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:36:44 -0600

At 11:53 PM -0400 9/13/00, owner-amps-digest@contesting.com (RF
Amplifier Discussion Dige wrote:
>Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:09:49 GMT
>From: "Fred Fliss" <fredfffff@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [AMPS] Modelling and its failures
>
>I do regret sounding as if I'm on a side here, but I must quite disagree
>with many comments regarding modelling.

Very well stated, Fred. And I am glad to hear somewhat of a consensus
among the writers here, that what you put in is what you get out,
with circuit modelling. An inductor is only as good as the model.
There have been numerous articles on modelling things like coils, and
many are written for the wireless biz. But they equally can apply or
be used at lower frequencies if you will take the time to understand
them.

We use a number of modelling programs, from cavities at UHF with
proton beams through them, to discrete components in circuits on
cards. MAFIA, SUPERFISH, EESOF/HP, HFS, SPICE, MICROCAP, and many
homemade programs for things like radial transmission lines. As a
matter of fact we have an entire group which supposts some homegrown
codes and offers them to the public for nearly nothing.

I'm not sure if this link will work outside of the firewall, but try
it to see about the world of electromagnetic field modelling with
complex geometries:
http://www-laacg.atdiv.lanl.gov/electromag.html

FYI
At CPI/Eimac Division:
There are marketing Engineers, Application Engineers, Manufacturing
Engineers, Product Development Engineers, ...

Reid B. is an Application Engineer who specializes on the amateur and
broadcast market. I've known him for many years - am amazed to hear
his name thrown around here so often. If you want to reach him, call
him! He's available.