[AMPS] 3-500z repair question

measures 2@vc.net
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:44:34 -0700

>I know this has been covered in the past, but I can't remember, or find the
>answer to my question.
>
>I have a 3-500z that has the solder melted in the pins of the heater
>element. It came from a poorly designed (LK500A) amplifier that doesn't have
>adequate cooling in the socket area. The filaments don't light up. In the
>past this has happened and I simply re-melted the solder in the filament
>pins and this fixed the problem. This time it didn't work and the filaments
>don't light up. Is there any special technique that a "home-owner/civilian"
>can perform to get this tube back to health?

1.  plug tube into an unoccupied shoe, anode down.
2.  remove the pin assembly with a rapidly moving propane torch.
3.  remove all tin-lead solder with solder-wick.
4.  paint all of the surfaces that need to be soldered with rosin flux.
5. tin with 6% AG / 94% Sn silver solder and resolder.  Add solder as
needed.
6.  remove solder flux residue with everclear or denatured ethanol.
--  note - do not mix tin/lead solder with silver solder.
cheers, Bill

end