[AMPS] Amp using 833A

jeff millar jeff@wa1hco.mv.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:09:03 -0400

Tom's probably got the best point about high IMD without the cathode
negative feedback.  He's also right about high gain, instability, long leads
and oscillation at HF.

That being said, it's fairly easy to create a step up grid circuit.
According to my handbook, in class B service, 3000V on the plate
requires -70V on the grid and 400V of p-p drive (because class B mean grid
current).  This tube wants to operate in push-pull.  If you're lucky you may
find some BC-610 output tank coils that were used in a plate modulated c1940
transmitter that ran a pushpull pair of 833 modulated by 810's (? before my
time).  The BC-610 tank used a nifty swinging coil output link coupling.

Some suggestions to consider...

- use two in pushpull
- drive the grid with broad band step up from 50 to about 800 ohms, requires
a 4:1 turns ratio.
- resistive load the grids with 400 ohms
- less than 70V negative bias for AB...don't know if AB2 required for decent
output
- Drive with a bit less than 100 Watts
- Neutralize with cross coupled plate to grid capacitors
- Suspend the tubes in the middle of the box, design for best look
- Don't worry about lead lengths, the tube designers didn't
- Best just accept single band operation
- Make sure you can see the plates in operation
- Use a low speed fan...quiet has a cool factor all it's own
- Keep the operating frequency below 15 -20 MHz
- Operate 3 - 3.5 kV and 750 ma and expect 1500W out