[AMPS] Amp using 833A

measures 2@vc.net
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:25:38 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>	>>Something I don't understand here. How come grid driven high mu
>	>>triodes can produce lots of low distorted power in audio service?
>> >
>	>1.    grid current helps to increase peak anode current.
>	>
>> Most of the high level plate modulation I hear on the ham bands sounds
>>somewhat distorted.
>
>Just funny that the broadcasters managed OK using audio amps with grid
>current.

Broadcast quality amplifiers typically use negative feedback (NFB) to
reduce distortion.  If distortion exceeds c.  1 part in 8k, the human ear
can detect it.

>And don't let us forget the people like Collins, Marconi, Racal, Brown-Boveri
>and so on who very successfully used linear AB2 PA stages.

The Collins plate-modulated MF transmitter that I am familiar with
employs NFB.  Every Class AB2 g-g RF power amp. employs NFB.

cheers, Peter

end