[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:33:51 -0400

> I have built and operated several 4X1 amps over the years.
> On a good day with a good layout and a 100% tube, you can expect
> 1500 watts key down with 100 watts drive at an Ep of 6000v.

Now that seems more like it. My recollection of the 4-1000A's are
from older QRP rigs, that made lot's of noise and lit up the room.
As I recall, the driving impedance was way up there in that lower
100 ohm range.

With a 4160v pole pig in a bridge supply, and about 100 watts of
drive, several amps I built were unable to exceed 1500 watts. That
was with good tubes.

I eventually used a Viking Valiant to drive the tube (CW), and that
solved the low meter readings.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com