[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:35:08 +0100

Rich Measures wrote:

>>Vic Rosenthal wrote:
>Much more iron is needed in a
>>50
>>>Hz transformer -- the one I finally got weighed 60 pounds (27kg), compared
>>an
>>>equivalent 60 Hz only unit weighing 40 pounds (18 kg).
>>
>>Interesting figures... so the total weight of the transformer increases
>>as something like the square of the core cross-sectional area. Seems
>>about right.
>
>€   My TL-922 is designed 50 - 60 Hz.  In my opinion, 50 - 60 Hz
>transformer cores are about 20% heavier than equivalent 60Hz-only cores.

My "seems about right" was based on the notion that although the core
cross-section would only need to be 20% larger, a core built from
standard off-the-shelf laminations would probably be larger in every
other dimension too. Then there's the extra length of copper required to
make each turn around the larger core, and pretty soon you're getting
closer to Vic's 50% figure.

There's a small winding shop in this country that makes a steady living
from replacing burnt-out "50/60Hz" transformers in US equipment. The art
is in knowing how to design a better transformer that will really work
on 50Hz, yet still fits into the same space.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek