[AMPS] Electrolytic shelf life

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:29:49 -0400

I agree with Rich's comments John.  I have 1998 catalogs from Philips and
Mallory so I can add a little more.

Mallory recommends testing the DC leakage current after 5 years
storage.  Philips recommends something similar and includes a field
re-forming procedure in their catalog.  Depending on the product line
series, Philips shows power-on life expectancy ranging from 3000 hours to
15,000 hours (full voltage and ripple current at max operating temp of 85 C
or 105 C).  Graphs are also included showing how the power-on life
expectancy increases with decreasing ambient temperature; in most cases
this life expectancy exceeds 20,000 hours with a 25 C ambient.  One of the
catalogs shows how the DC Leakage is affected by shelf storage (no power
applied) at 40 C : the line is flat for the 2 year scale of the graph.  The
leakage increases significantly during the same 2 year period with a 70 C
storage temperature.  Reading between the lines it appears that shelf
storage at much cooler temperatures *could* be expected to result in quite
a long shelf life.

Whomever mentioned that they had tested some WW II vintage electrolytics
and found they were within spec after all these years of storage - I've had
the same experience too.  Also, the electrolytics in my 1937 Zenith table
top radio are the originals and still test well.  This radio is used
everyday.  I recently turfed a box full of 2 to 20 year-old used
electrolytics that all suffered high leakage current.

Phil