[AMPS] info on power supplies

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:31:06 -0700

>I'm building a 'retro' transmitter for high quality amplitude
>modulation.

/\  John - I have done AM with plate-modulation and with low level
modulation using an AN-612  modulator IC - followed by a >1499w-PEP
linear amplifier.   With traditional plate/anode modulation, some IM
distortion could be heard.  With the AN-612 modulator/linear set up, no
distortion could be heard.  /  note:  the Trio-Kenwood TS-440, 930, 940,
et cet. - as well as some other mfg's transceivers use the AN-612 for
generating AM and SSB.  Motorola makes a similar modulator-IC.

>The RF part is to be a Johnson 500 (single 4-400A), and
>the power supplies,  modulator and control relays are homebrew. To
>pay homage to tradition and have the bouncing violet glow when I say
>1-2-3, I started with 866A mercury vapor rectifiers. But due to space
>limitations on the big chassis and the size of the ancient iron I
>have acquired, now I am using silicon diodes. What was interesting in
>all this is that after reading old handbooks (both ARRL and Editors
>and Engineers - pre Bill Orr and after) you can observe the trend
>away from L input filters and center tapped secondaries with 2
>rectifiers >>>> to Cap. input, 4 diode full wave brides, or doublers
>for SSB amps. With the change to silicon came higher peak current
>ability (than tube rectifiers) and the change in filter
>configurations. I hear some of the folks here using as much as 100 uF
>of capacitance, unheard of 30-40 years ago. Back then it was big
>iron, swinging chokes, smoothing chokes, 4-8 uf of cap, low peak
>currents, low noise,

/\  Mercury-vapor rectifier hash is hardly low-noise.
Ozone is not healthy for humans to breathe.

>and fairly good regulation with load changes (as
>long as a resonance wasn't hit during modulation). Resonant input
>chokes were good here also.

/\  Resonant chokes are undoubtedly the best thing when load current
swings.  However, swinging chokes are not - but few realize this unless
they have:  a DC o'scope, a HV o'scope probe, and a  stong curiousity.  I
plead guilty your honor.

>I have heard that some of those old CT secondary transformers can't
>run FWB at full tilt without risking punch through near the center of
>the winding.

/\  The UTC S-type were infamous for this gripe.

>Another observation:
>I thought that iron was going to be hard to come by. Two local
>surplus junkyards had more than I could hope for, anything from 1500
>to 3500 VDC, single and three phase, 0.2 to 1 Amp DC.  To top it off,
>I now have THREE plate modulation transformers, all variable tapped,
>from 300 to 600 W capability. All this for about a hundred dollars. A
>pair of 813 beam power tubes will be modulators, running AB1.
>
>This is the fun stuff in ham radio that I had nearly forgotten about.
>Thanks to this mailing list, I have been inspired to do it.

/\  The main problems with running AM these days is that it wastes watts,
and virtually all AMers tend to take longish,  "lock to talk"
transmissions that tend to be a sure-cure for insomnia.

/\  cheers, John

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end