Fwd: [AMPS] Tuned input

ToddRoberts2001@aol.com ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:16:58 EDT

--part1_e.f83f519.288040ba_boundary

Jim, I ran into a similar problem with a Dentron DTR-2000L linear amplifier.
The DTR-2000L does not have a tuned-input circuit and was causing excessively
high SWR when driven by my solid-state transceiver (Yaesu FT-840) . I built a
small external pi-network tuned-input circuit using a double-pole rotary
switch to switch in different value toroid inductors and fixed mica
capacitors for each band in addition to 365pf air-variables permanently wired
across the input and output sides of the circuit for fine-tuning. I used #2
mix (red) toroids about 1" O.D. size and #18 magnet wire for each toroid.
These will easily handle 100-150 watts of RF at the relatively low impedance
levels for a tuned input circuit. The whole circuit is mounted inside a small
aluminum mini-box and connected to the amplifier input thru a 1 ft length of
RG-213 coax. The values for the toroids were fine-tuned after basing their
values on a handbook article using the 8877 tube. This arrangement keeps both
the exciter and amplifier happy. I recommend always keeping an SWR meter in
line between the exciter and amplifier at all times to monitor the condition
of match between the two, as well as a second SWR meter to monitor the output
match to the amplifier. Hope this may help. 73 Todd Roberts WD4NGG .

--part1_e.f83f519.288040ba_boundary