[AMPS] stupid question

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <K4XL@arrl.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:49:34 -0500

Tom Rauch opined:
> > Is the 'RCA' connector the same thing we call a 'phono plug'? The
type

> RCA connector is something that has crept into common usage. I
> don't know where it came from, it has gradually appeared. Many
> names are like that.

If I'm not mistaken, the "RCA phono plug" is called that because RCA
folks invented it to use on their 45rpm phonograph turntables back in
the 50s.  Many 50s era radios, even communications type radios, had a
phono jack on the back to accommodate these ubiquitous RCA 45 rpm units.
Didn't everyone listen to Elvis on one of these? 8-)