[AMPS] stupid question

Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:05:55 -0800

Folks, I have a slightly different spin on this RCA, phono, phone, and
Motorola plug story.

The RCA plug is generically called a phono plug today.  Yep RCA did put
it on the 45 RPM changers and their associated Hi-Fi equipment in the
late 40's and early 50's.  Still quite popular on todays equipment for
both audio and some low power RF applications.

The Motorola plug is quite different.  It is the type typically used on
auto radio antenna connections. The chassis connector has a female
center pin and a female outer sleeve.  The cable connector is about 1.25
to 1.50" in length overall.  There is a female cable connector found on
may import auto radios today.  To the best of my knowledge the lead from
the antenna is always male & male in the auto's today.

The RCA chassis connector has a female center pin and a male outer
sleeve.  The cable connector has a male center pin and a female outer
connection.  Overall, they are about .75 to 1.125" in length.  There are
2 types of RCA connectors. One has a long center pin while the other has
a short center pin just barely extending past the outer sleeve.  The
latter one is typically found on GE type equipment as it's not very
prone to short to something when a cable hangs loose.

While I've seen the male phono plug inserted into the Motorola chassis
connector it typically makes for a sloppy fit.

As to phone plugs, these are typically tip-sleeve type connectors and
the old standard is 1/4" in diameter.  The stereo or 2 circuit version
is known as a telephone plug or a tip-ring-sleeve.  The military version
has a slightly smaller diameter barrel.  I am aware that Collins has
been known to use these on the KWM-2 line of equipment for the
microphone connector.  The headphone connector was the standard 1/4"
phone plug.

Darn confusing, isn't it.  Hope this helps.

73
Bob K4TAX