[AMPS] Changing tubes

Chris Tran GM3WOJ gm3woj@talk21.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:04:13 -0000

Hello all

If you have a 2-tube amplifier and say, 2 spare new tubes,
is there really any advantage in changing the tube sets
over every year, or whenever ?

I know that glass tubes need to be used periodically to
maintain the gettering, and the same probably applies
to ceramic/metal tubes, but in terms of reliability I can't
see how changing the tubes regularly would really help.
I'm assuming that as the tubes age, emission and hence
RF o/p will slowly fall, but I don't think this should be a
real problem ?

I guess replacement cost and future availability of tubes
are considerations.

Visit   www.qsl.net/gm3woj/amps1.htm   for some photos
of homebrew amps.

73