[AMPS] Audio Amps supplies in S. FL ?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:00:40 -0600

PCB = POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYL= POISON!!!
This is the banned stuff. Was used in transformers and filter capacitors.  Bad
stuff!

PVC = POLYVINYL CHLORIDE
This is the stuff water pipe and electrical conduit are made from. This is
harmless
plastic. Makes a great jacket for coax and rotor cable.

I did not want to run out in the morning and rip up all their plumbing!
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

> Oh yeah, one detail...
>
> If the amplifier has any of those 1960's/1970's PVC encased capacitors, use
latex gloves to handle them when you are in there.  PVC
> of that age generally is "bleeding".  When PVC decomposes, it drips a
yellowish substance that is known to cause sterility in women,
> particularly young girls, is a known carcinogen, and may have reproductive
damage to men as well [unproven, but possible, given what
> is known].  Please contact Mattel and ask them why Barbie isn't made of PVC
anymore, they will be happy to explain.

> Twenty years ago, we had to deal with PCBs in large capacitors, dummy loads,
and transformers.  Now we have decomposing PVC to deal
> with, among other things.
>
> The last time I dealt with and saw this problem was last year when restoring a
philco 40-130 tabletop radio, apparently it had
> undergone three previous amateurish repair jobs, including one that put in two
of these capacitors.  One of the caps I replaced had
> the problem bad, and another looked as if it was just beginning to develop the
problem.