[AMPS] Audio Amps supplies in S. FL ?

Jim Bryant kc5vdj@yahoo.com
Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:48:14 -0600

Phil Clements wrote:

> PCB = POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYL= POISON!!!
> This is the banned stuff. Was used in transformers and filter capacitors.  Bad
> stuff!

Yes, and many of the initial debates began like this.

> PVC = POLYVINYL CHLORIDE
> This is the stuff water pipe and electrical conduit are made from. This is
> harmless
> plastic. Makes a great jacket for coax and rotor cable.
>
> I did not want to run out in the morning and rip up all their plumbing!
> (((73)))
> Phil, K5PC

The day will come.  The carcinogenic facts of decomposing PVC are well known, as well as the estrogen-like factors which cause
reproductive damage in women.  The good news is that the PVC must be greater than 25-40 years old before it starts seeping the
yellow [dangerous] stuff.

You can't tell me that what I have seen in about twenty radios doesn't happen.  The information supplied by Mattel, and their
collectors/dealers is accurate.  The caps were made with the same type of PVC used in Barbie dolls of the 60's and 70's.  I have
seen this goop myself.  This is the same goop that is beginning to appear on all PVC of 1960's to 1970's vintage.

At one time PCBs were thought to be safe.  PVC itself is safe for somewhere between 30 and 40 years, then after that much time, it
starts decomposition.

People think cellphones are safe, but when the evidence is mounting, and country after country is discovering that cellphone users
are at signifigant risk of brain cancer, but there are those here in America that deny it, despite the numbers.  Just like PVC,
cellphones will require about 30 years [only nine years away] of data to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the risks involved.

The yellow goop on PVC between 30 and 40 years old is a hazard.  This is a fact.  If you just don't give a damn, feel free to handle
it any way you want.

I'm not a 60 year old old-timer nearing death.  I will take precautions.

The political aspect will be that the facts that are known will be minimized to only trade rags and such, and kept from the general
public because of the cost involved with lawsuits and replacement of existing PVC, much as it is politically expedient due to costs
to ignore global warming, which is proven beyond a doubt, with more and more data pouring in from long-term studies every day now.
Even Reagan had to admit finally that the ozone holes were real, and being caused by the Chlorine catylist reaction.  Remember all
of the naysayers on that before Reagan finally told the truth [probably the only thing he ever told the truth on].

Anyhow, wake up, educate yourself, and quit denying reality.

My tip was to wear latex gloves when handling old PVC caps that exhibit the CHARACTERISTIC yellow goop involved in the decomposition
of PVC.  My tip is known to prevent cancers involving this breakdown product, as well as reproductive damage in women.

Mattel, not exactly known for being a liberal company, will be happy to point you to their sources that convinced that
Republican-owned company [sources SEC and FEC] that the yellow substance does everything I am saying.  If you can't believe a
company owned by conservatives when it comes to a biological hazard, who can you believe?  Conservatives are always the last to
admit such dangers.

My advice still stands.  Wear latex gloves when handling any PVC exhibiting the WELL-ESTABLISHED symptoms of decomposition.  Not
taking my advice can result in cancer in both sexes, and reproductive damage [due to the fact that the yellowish substance acts like
estrogen when absorbed into the body] in women.  Reproductive damage aspects in men are not established, but suspected.

On a side note.  I bet it's 30 years before the industry admits that the new 2.45 GHz cordless phones are very dangerous.  They will
only do that after millions of brain tumors.  I'll give you a common sense hint right now:  stick a wavemeter or frequency counter
next to your microwave oven, and report to the list the frequency it reads as.

On the matter of the PVC, and even to a lesser degree, cellphones, I'll give the industry credit that they had no idea what
NATURALLY-AGED PVC would do.  Laborotory-aged PVC probably didn't exhibit the breakdown seen in real-life [or did it?].  The
Cellphone industry is partially culpable.  They had at least 20 years of data from the military on the effects of low-level
upper-UHF and Microwaves, they knew what they were doing.

Wear the gloves.

jim

--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!