[AMPS] swan mark-2

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:47:49 -0800

Doubt you'd need ALC, the Mark I and Mark II were both hard to drive.  If
you have a 940S/AT with the internal ATU, you'll probably need to use that
ATU to be able to fully drive either a Mark I or a Mark II, and even then
might not be able to drive it fully -- these amps are from the "tube
transceiver" days and really mated well to rigs like the Swan 350 and 500
which ran ~150W PEP output power, some 50% more than the TS940.

As I recall, the Mark I had everything in one large box (RF section and
power supply) and ran heavy and hot.  The Mark II, I believe, separated the
RF section from the power supply, cooled them with two separate fans, and
contained other minor improvements.  I think they were designed for
3-400Z's, which were squatter than 3-500Z's, and required some modification
to use the modern-day 500Z's (both mechanically and electrically, since the
400Z's were "zero bias" I think, and the 500Z's require a few +V on their
cathodes to kick them into the zone).

73, Steve WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger