[AMPS] Fw: alpha input swamp circuit

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:37:06 -0800

>One thing that I haven't noticed being mentioned in this discussion
>that was certainly a factor in the decision to use the swamp circuit
>was gain reduction.  The FCC had just recently defined the
>maximum gain that was allowed in an amplifier -- in an attempt to
>reduce the use of amplifiers on the CB band--and type acceptance
>necessitated that an 8874-based amp be "throttled back" a little.

//  Good point, John.  Most of the CBers I know who run 1500w amplifiers
run 100w - 150w ham transceivers because they are superior to CB
transceivers.   Most CB "technicians" are quite familiar with what it
takes to convert the 21MHz bandswitch position to 27MHz.  Thus,  FCC
Type-Acceptance looks like much adoo about nothing.   A friend who
retired from the FCC told me that one of the key persons involved in
Type-Acceptance was caught taking greenbacks under the table.  The FCC
reportedly made him an offer he could not refuse.  He resigned, avoided a
vacation in Leavenworth, and found a job with a D.C. law firm.

cheers, John

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end