[AMPS] Request for Advice Please

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:40:33 -0800

"Nathan, Kevin" wrote:

> Now, for my question.  I have the opportunity to pick up
> a Kenwood TL-922A bought in 1983 for $450.00 from a local estate sale.  I
> have always kind of lusted after this amp.  However, I could pick up a brand
> new Ameritron AL-811H for $750 and, I understand I can substitute 572B's for
> the 811's at some time to get even better performance.

If the TL922A is in good condition, I would prefer it.  It is a very
well-constructed unit.  Of course, given its age, you would need to be sure that
the tubes are not gassy and that the filter capacitors are in good shape.  I
suppose in your position, I wouldn't buy it unless I could have it thoroughly
checked out by a knowledgeable person.  $450 is really an excellent price for a
clean one.

If I were purchasing a new amp at minimum cost, I would look at the Ameritron
AL80-B.  Of course, it's out of your price range at about $1300, but you might
find an almost-new one.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA