[AMPS] Another Stupid Question

Jim Strohm jstrohm@texas.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:34:24 -0600

Check the math -- 1% is 20 watts on a 2 KW amp -- a real doorknob cap would
be fine.  However, as Mr. Measures pointed out, current at 30 MHz can be
considerable, and I^2R effects will push losses up.

I think that's why RF Parts and Copper Electronics charge so much for
replacement plate blocking caps.  That get re-replaced every year....

Since I have a decent sized dummy load and some expendable finals, I might
try some experiments with low-pF blocking caps.  I would be suitably
surprised (and delighted) to find that an ARC-5 antenna vacuum cap would
work in place of a $50. doorknob cap at 30 MHz and a kilowatt.

Jim N6OTQ

"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@akorn.net> said --