[AMPS] AL-82 Primary Tap Settings

Mike Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:43:56 -0700

Hi All,

We have 3 Ameritron AL-82's at our local club station. The station was recently
moved into a new shack which is wired with one phase of a 3 phase 208 VAC service
(the old shack was setup for 240 VAC). Some of the guys were a little worried
about setting the transformer taps on the AL-82s all the way down 208VAC, instead
suggesting that we go with the 220V taps just to be conservative. I was concerned that
this might drop the filament voltage a bit too much to achieve full emission. Any
reason not to run on the 208VAC taps. I am told that this is a true 208 VAC drop, and
not just a 220V drop running on the low side of the voltage tolerance, so I see no
reason not to run on the 82's 208 VAC taps?

Thanks,

Mike, W4EF...........