[Amps] TS-440S Update

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 04:23:45 -0700

>On Monday 15 April 2002 06:41, Peter Chadwick wrote:
>> Rich said:
>> 	>-   Mo' ALC-meter indication is seemingly not mo' betta.
>>
>> Did anyone say otherwise? Trouble is Rich, the idea of having a cleaner
>> signal is fine, but one is a bit of a lone voice compared with the 'wind it
>> full clockwise' brigade. Still, we have the satisfaction of knowing we've
>> done our bit........
>I reckon ALC meters are often too sluggish.

Indeed.

>TS830, for example: often
>commented that it's cleaner with the processor on - actually, it's not, but
>without clipping the ALC meter doesn't register short speech peaks until they
>are grossly overdriving things. Set up the the mic level with a really loud
>long whistle, then talk normally and the ALC meter doesn't twitch at all but
>the 'scope and analyser say you are hitting peak power.

The surprisingly unique things about the TS-830S are that:  it is
exceedingly difficult to make dirty and the processor substantially
improves copyability under weak signal conditions.  However, with its
built-in RF-NFB disconnected, the 830 is a broad source of ether-wave
pollution.

cheers, Steve

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end