[Amps] Q: Chimneys for 3-500/4-400??

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:06:10 -0800

Bear (?), I've had lots of Henry 3-500Z amps over many years, and they do
use a pressurized chassis and chimneys, just like Eimac used to say to
do...but the tubes didn't run cooler as a result (notwithstanding the
filament voltage problems!), they ran hotter than in similar amps using the
axial above-and-below deck cooling a la SB-220 and Ameritron.

I'm guessing:

-The actual air flow around the glass using high-volume, low-pressure
(axial) cooling is better than using low-volume, high-pressure (blower with
chimneys) cooling, resulting in more efficient thermal exchange;

-The already-heated air (heated by underchassis components and the filament
pins) blowing up around the envelopes is substantially hotter to begin with
than the ambient air blown past the envelopes when high-volume axial cooling
is used;

-The critical and well-selected spacing of the axial fan to the tube
envelopes results in about equal cooling of the entire envelopes, including
the surface opposite the side with the air applied -- kind of clever.

While it's really hard to compare "my tubes lasted longer than your tubes"
stories due to variations in filament voltage, cooling, how hard the tubes
were really used and also the manufacturer and even manufacturing lot of the
tubes themselves, I'd have to say I've had 3-500Zs last in the "SB-220
cooling method" amps every bit as long as, or longer than, the "forced air
with chimney method" amps like the Henrys, and in most cases that was more
than 10 years of frequent use -- after which time, the tubes are pretty much
"free," aren't they?

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti