[Amps] Neutral vs Ground Connection for 220 VAC

Michael Tope W4EF@dellroy.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:43:44 -0800

Hi All,

Our club just inherited a Henry 2K-D which I was planning to
wire for the 220VAC service that we have available in the
shack. My quandry is how to properly connect the 4 wire
220VAC wiring on the Henry (2-hot, 1-neutral, and 1-ground)
to the 3 pole 220 outlets in the shack? While its clear to me
that tying the neutral and the safety ground connnections on
the Henry together will work functionally, I am wondering if
this would be kosher from a safety/code point of view. Is
the third wire in a 3 prong 220 outlet supposed to be a safety
ground or is it actually allowed to carry neutral current in the
case where both 110V and 220V are needed inside the box
(it looks like the pilot bulbs and blower in the Henry use one
"phase" of the 220V circuit to get 110VAC)?

Thanks,