[Amps] Neutral vs Ground Connection for 220 VAC

Gary Schafer garyschafer@attbi.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:24:37 -0500

Hi Mike,

The only appliance that is "legal" for ground and neutral together is an
electric stove. That is now being phased out to a 4 wire circuit. The 3
wire version for the stove had to be a dedicated circuit. Nothing else
fed but the stove.

What you have for 3 wire 220 volt outlets are probably the 20 amp
window air conditioner type outlets. That would be 2 hot and ground.  If
they are dedicated circuits you could run it like the stove, but the
proper thing to do would be to run a fourth wire for the neutral.

You may look into tying the fan and pilot light across 1/2 the primary
winding of the transformer in the amp to get the 120 volts for them. The
transformer primary works like an auto transformer in that case from the
220 line. Then you would not need any neutral. Just the two hots and
ground. Unless there is something else that needs 120 volts.

73
Gary  K4FMX