Fw: Re: [AMPS] SB-220 Meter Movements

skipp isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:44:45 -0800

Hi Rich,
-
Up until your post, I'd never thought about a justified
reason to install a standby switch on an amplifier
like the SB-220.  There is a valid reason after all.
-
Every used SB-220 I've refurbished had the switch
mounted because the owner thought the tubes
needed a few minutes of warm up.
-
I will admit that I use the standby capacity while
checking things out before regular operation. I
always verify the drive levels and antenna system
while the amplifier idles. Makes me feel better...
old habits die hard.
-
When I switch my amplifier off after modest use,
I can hear the tubes "crinkle."
-
cheers
skipp
-
-snip-
>Normally I would just live with the unsightly holes many hams have
>butchered into SB-220's to add an unneeded relay bypass switch...
-
Adding a switch to break the PTT path was a common trick for contesters.
It was needed to allow an instant band change to work a multiplier
barefoot
then return to the run band at full power.
-
My guess is more were modified then not and keeping the switch retains
the flavor of the amp's contest history.
-
Rich KL7RA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.