[AMPS] Alpha 86 PIN Modification?

Jim Bryant kc5vdj@yahoo.com
Wed, 02 Jan 2002 01:12:27 -0600

2 wrote:

> diodes are the only game in town -- however, PIN diodes are undoubtedly
> more delicate and less forgiving than vacuum relays.  For example, a RJ1A
> will typically arc over at about 5x more voltage than a PIN diode.  When
> a PIN diode arcs, it's history/bye-bye/adios.  When a vacuum relay arcs,
> seldom fatal.

Would it be possible to use PIN diodes as an INITIAL switching device, used only for the duration it takes for a relay to close,
then released from the circuit as the relay closes?

I would think this would still provide the greatest speed, while at the same time reducing the chances of blowing the PIN diodes due
to the very narrow time slice in which they are active.  While the chance is still present for the diodes to short, the odds of them
not blowing are much better.  I would think that this approach might even prove useful enough to allow the use of slower relays.

This could be used in conjunction with some form of PIN "hang-time" timer, for those who enjoy abusing relays with full break-in
QSK, at an albeit higher risk of PIN blowout.  This would keep the relay from closing prior to the hangtime timeout, thus preventing
a premature death for the relay due to constantly opening and closing.

I know this one guy, just bought an amplifier before a CW contest, I will swear that he went through 10% of his amplifier relay's
mechanical life in that one contest, I lay odds his transceiver's T/R relay dies before too long...  Full break-in.

Of course, if you use this idea, please credit KC5VDJ [yours truely]...

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!