[Amps] Diode Bias Strings

2 2@vc.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:01:38 -0700

The Semtecc diode string in question appears to be a 10 diode unit.

>I would like to ask the proponents of series rectifier diode strings if
>they have ever measured the developed bias between the minimum and full
>power conditions?

Yes.

>I've done it with a Henry 3K Classic X, using and 8877,
>and the bias soared about 6V from zero to full signal.

6V sounded a bit high, so this morning I tested a 1n5408/3A diode for fwd
V-drop using 8877-sized currents, assuming a ZSAC of 0.1A and a signal
max Ik of c. 1.2A.  At 0.1A, the V-drop was 0.734v.  At 1.2A, the V-drop
was 0.813V.   Thus, with a 10-diode string, the change in bias V for an
8877 would be 0.79V from zero-sig to max-sig.   For improved IMD, and
less chance of overdrive with more than 78w drive, add a few ohms in
series with the diode-string to increase V-drop at max sig.

>Read that power
>limiting that must result in additional distortion products.

A diode has more V-drop as current increases.  A resistor has even more
V-drop as current increases.  A resistor can be added in series with  the
cathode to create RF-NFB.  (which I read in Svetlana, Eimac, and RCA
pubs).
- Marv - Does more RF-NFB increase or decrease IMD?

> I couldn't
>wait to dump Henry's Semtec diode pack and put in a 50W,12V Zener.  IMHO,

Humble ?

>there is nothing worse than diode strings as a biasing element.

> Further, just ask the G-land 6M ops what they think of the bricks

The red herring.

>that find their way into cluttering up the band with relatively high levels
of splatter
>resulting from diode bias.  Ian et al, are you listening?
>
>73,
>
>Marv, W6FR

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end