[Amps] Muffin Fans

COLIN LAMB k7fm@teleport.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 7:23:6 -0700

I once built a pusher aircraft.  Among the designers and builders, no one seemed to care whether the air was being pulled or pushed.  The aircraft did not know the difference.  About the only concern was the center of gravity and what the aircraft would do in a spin, since aft c/g and flat spins are not conducive to long term good health.

Some early aircraft designers especially liked pusher aircraft because there was less chance of shooting your propeller off during battle (before they synchronized the guns with the props).  The aircraft designers figured out that obstructions in front or back of the propeller made little difference in the performance of the aircraft.

I have had a few wind generators at my house and always read that obstructions either in front of or in back of the wind generator decrease performance.  Although I have not done any tests of a muffin fan either pushing or sucking and do not claim to be an expert on the subject of moving hot air (contrary to my wife's thoughts), my experience tells me that either one should work well if the other design factors are followed.

I did have a friend, though, who purchased a pellet stove that used a sucking blower.  The bearings went out in a year because they overheated.  He called for a replacement blower and was told the company had modified the design because of that problem.  The new design still used a sucker, though, and it has worked for a few years.

73,  Colin  K7FM.

text/html (html body -- converted)
---