[Amps] ts-930 relay

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:40:35 -0400

At 07:51 PM 7/29/02 +0200, Marcel Jorba wrote:
>I need to use an AL-80A linear together with a TS-930.
>
>My problem is that the pinout for the relay doesnt switches the linear
>(using 2 and 4 pins on the remote connector) because no enough current is
>driven (I guess).
>I believe that pin 7 offers a relay output but it dosen't work for me. How
>can I know if the relay is included in my unit? (s/n is 5xxxx). A guy told
>me that a jumper enables/disables the T/R relay.

On the Remote connector, pin 4 is an open collector transistor switch that
will sink a small amount of positive voltage/current (I don't know exactly
how much).  On the XVTR connector, pin 2 provides +12 volts on transmit at
50 MA maximum against chassis ground, also for relay control.  One neat
part of this is that a friend measured this output, and apparently the +12v
appears a couple of milliseconds before any RF is produced.

On the Remote connector, pin 7 is grounded on transmit if the internal
relay is enabled.  To enable the relay, you need to find the control relay
printed circuit board, which is at the rear of the radio under the bottom
cover.  It has the small relay and three terminals, marked 28V, NC and
RRL.  Moving the wire currently connected to NC to the 28V terminal should
enable the relay.

I don't know what the AL-80's switching scheme is, but one of these should
work for you.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at