[Amps] equalizing resistors

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:18:13 -0800

>I am replacing the filter cap in the hv section of my Thunderbolt. I will
>be using 2 caps in series. The power supply filter is the choke input type
>using a swinging choke. It supplies 2200 volts. Do I need to add equalizing
>resistors across each cap.

€  I would.  It's a reliable way to bleed off the caps, plus it applies
equal V to each.

>Depending on who I talk to, Ive been told I do
>need them and than again I dont need them. Which is correct. If I do need
>them, what size should they be. 100k at 10 watts is what Ive been told.

€  10W, 100k‡ resistors are not ordinarily able to handle even 1000V -
even though that's 10w [read the fine print in the specs].  Also, 1100V =
12.1W @ 100k‡.  My guess is that whoever told you this does not have a
firm grip on Ohm's Law.

€  Also, a swinging choke filter works ok with AM-linear service because
DC current drain is constant.  However, for SSB, the current is not
constant, so, if one checks transient regulation with a DC oscilloscope,
it is not ok,  This is why Henry, Collins, Harris and the rest never use
a swinging choke filter in their linear amplifiers.  For good transient
regulation, either a resonant-choke filter or a capacitive filter are the
only games in town.

cheers, Bill

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end